This one comes in two flavors, the simple and the “look” i have fancy gadgets.
So a perfect soft-boiled egg is a great and simple dish, but with out something additional, you need more than a few for it to be anything other than a starter or an addition.
Here the idea is to enhance it but still keep the focus on the egg.
- 2 Eggs per person (I suggest going for largest eggs you can find for this recipe)
- about 5 fresh green asparagus per egg.
- 1 very good french baguette.
- Black or White Truffles
- Clarified Butter
- 1 Good quality large pan (I recommend cast iron)
- 1 Pot for cooking eggs
- Medium fine small grate for your Truffles.
- Optional: Sous Vide setup for the “perfect egg”
- Trim the asparagus and wash them well, do not peel or skin them, but clean and dry.
- Cut thing sticks of baguette and brush with melted butter.
- Roast the sticks in the oven at 200 degrees Celcius until golden brown.
- Cook the eggs:
- Fancy Gadgets – Use your favorite recipe for Sous Vide softboiled eggs
- Classical, there are 1000+ ways to softboil an egg, i personally prefer to let the water boil then turn off the heat an add the egg wait 5min and 30sec and then chill for 20sec in ice cold water.
- Heat the frying pan to high heat, it should be ready about 4 min before eggs are perfect.
- Add the clarified butter and fry the asparagus so the tops become crisp but the stalks remain crunchy about 1 min on each side should do.
- Move asparagus to a clean cloth to drip off the excess butter
- Plate and Serve – I recommend 2 bread sticks and 5 asparagus per egg, remember to grate a nice amount of truffles on each plate.
If you don’t have it for breakfast i recommend a glass (or two) of “Pol Roger Champagne, Brut” as companion for this, they come in 37.5cl bottles, which is perfect if your doing the dish for 2.